Take from this world. There is so much that it offers you.
Learn from others. Sit at the feet of the wise. Learn their ways.
Humble yourself to God's direction and wisdom.
Be willing. Give back. Love.
These are my goals.
Join us.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Italia.

In November, 2010 I left for Italy not really knowing what to expect.  It all kind of happened so fast and when I had to leave it felt like only the beginning. While I was there I took Italian classes twice a week at one of the colleges.  By the end I would partially dream in Italian and respond without even thinking in conversation.  But learning the language was really only a bonus.  For some reason when I first arrived I never really thought about meeting and having friends.  The first Friday night, though, I was engulfed in these Italian young people that immediately accepted me into their beautiful words.  After that, life gradually became confusing.  The more I began to interact with people and listen to the words coming out of their mouths, the more I was confused and frustrated and loved it.  Most of them spoke English some what and would kindly help me.  Every Saturday afternoon the youth would get together and have a meeting and before hand usually play some calcio, or soccer.  I loved hanging out with everyone and I was so grateful how they included me in everything.  Most of the time I would need a translation but Luigi was always close by to lend a helpful mouth.
During the week, much of my time was spent working in la cucina, or the kitchen.  Of course my skills were not up to the standard of Salvadore, the head chief, but I would do little things like wash and cut vegatables and meats, and tackle the continuing flow of dishes.  I enjoyed working in there because most of the kitchen staff didn't speak much English.  This forced me to practice my Italian because there were no Luigi's around to tell me what things meant- I was on my own.  Hand signals and examples of products combined with lots of words were used to display what needed to be done and how to do it.  I started catching on and tried to remember words to look up when I got home.  Some times I would bring my dictionary to work with me and those days were honestly less productive because of my constant 'search for the word'.
I love my Italian friends.  I miss them too.  I'll be back though.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment